My Plan to Help San Diego’s Homeless

I have recently come back from a trip to San Francisco, before we left, we all put in $15 dollars, we were going to hand it all out to the homeless people in San Francisco. Sadly, it was raining so we didn’t find anyone to give it to until the last night, we gave him $5 because we thought that we would find someone the next day to give it too, but we didn’t. Anyways, when we gave it to him, he talked to us for a little while, once we left and went back to the room, my grandma said, “Homeless people must feel like they are nobody, no one knows their name, most people are even scared to give them the money that they do give them.”

So I decided that it would be really cool to go down to Downtown San Diego and hand out money to all the homeless people, then I would ask them to tell me about themselves, if they allow I will take pictures as well and possibly videos of the interview I think that this would be really interesting. But the only problem is I don’t have enough money to fund that, so I decided that I would send out an email to all of the parents at my school asking them to donate, I also am going to make a Go Fund Me, or another donation website, to fundraise enough money to give to the homeless people. This blog will be full of pictures and updates on my project, that way people will know that their money is in fact going to the homeless people.

When I go down to the city, I will hand out the the money to the homeless people myself, with the help of family, and possibly friends of course. This will be a huge part of the experience because I would love to meet the homeless people and talk to them, as well as with their permission take pictures of them. I do not know how much each person will get, that will be a direct result of how much money I am able to raise, I would love to be able to give them about $10-$20 each but I am not sure that that will be possible. I would like to make a target goal of at least $250 in the first month. I hope that this will be possible. As soon as I finish my GoFundMe website, I will post an update on my blog, with a URL for that. Thank you for your time. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.

11 comments

1. rubytuesday10 · February 2, 2016 at 10:24 pm ·

That’s a great idea! I hope you get a lot of donations, and I will keep checking for new posts! Good luck!😊

• j19ah16 · February 8, 2016 at 10:35 pm ·

Thank you for the support, I am very happy to see that people are interested in my ideas and my project, as well as the fact that they are hoping to see more. Thank you, Zaya

2. Mr. Jewell · February 3, 2016 at 2:21 pm ·

Hi Zaya–I love the idea of using your blog to capture the stories of the people you meet while working to help them and can’t wait to see where this project takes you!

Have you been in contact with any of the local organizations that work with people in our community who are homeless? They might have insight into the issue and ideas for fundraising that would be helpful as you begin this journey.

• j19ah16 · February 8, 2016 at 10:34 pm ·

Thank you, I am also very excited to start meeting new people. I am also planning on talking to other companies working to help the local homeless, as well as other people who are involved in our local community.

3. Tayler · February 4, 2016 at 10:21 pm ·

Hi Zaya, I really like that idea, and I’m really excited to see all of your posts!!!
    β€”Tayler

4. Merrick · February 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm ·

That’s a cool idea! Good luck on the project and I look forward to seeing more posts about it and possibly an interview. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ’΅

5. Rosemary Rodgers · February 4, 2016 at 11:43 pm ·

Zaya, I am SO proud of you for wanting to help the homeless and to get to know them. Not only will they benefit from your love and concern you too will learn and experience love from them and their life’s experiences…I love you Zaya and I will be proud to donate to your worthy cause….XO. GIA

6. Sue Dyer · February 6, 2016 at 4:08 pm ·

Hi Zaya, You have a very big heart and it is people like you who will make an impact on our world. I am saddened by the number of people in this country who are homeless and need, not always money, but a kind word; a smile; a hug; or a conversation to let them know that they are God’s children too and they are loved. I applaud you for taking such a kind step and I will gladly support you and I look forward to following you on this journey.

7. ThatOneAuthorGirl · February 14, 2016 at 11:36 pm ·

Hi Zaya,
    It’s Kathe. I think this is a great idea! I have always wanted to do something like this but never really went for it. I think it’s great that you’re stepping up like this.
    -Kathe
    http://thatoneauthorgirl.edublogs.org

8. Ms.Main · February 21, 2016 at 2:05 am ·

You mentioned that “most people are scared to even talk to [homeless people].” Do you think there is a reason for that? What safety precautions should people take (if any) when they give money/talk to homeless people? Your compassion and energy are admirable. Good luck!

• j19ah16 · March 1, 2016 at 8:28 pm ·

Thank you Ms. Main, for taking the time to read my blog, I can definitely understand why people would be scared. Although not all homeless people are this way, but many people think homeless people are all crazy, and not fully aware of their actions. I don’t people should stress about taking too many precautions where approaching a homeless person, I do think that it is important to bring other people along with you if doing so.
      Thanks for the reply,
      Zaya